Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Apple of My Eye

So this past weekend I was in New Orleans working with a great pal of mine (Kelly Sharkey) with her organization (Project Homecoming) on their 2nd Annual Fundraising Gala. I visit NOLA quite often but I must say, this was one of my absolute favorite trips yet. It was mostly all work, very little play--but it was just so fantastic seeing everything that everyone was working on and I feel truly blessed to get to work along side ProHo's amazing staff and volunteers. It was an incredibly successful event followed by a successful celebration in the French Quarter!

While I was there, Food Month was 100% being observed. I packed a couple apples and sweet potatoes in my backpack for my Thursday night flight so that I was able to bring food to the office on Friday morning. We ended up working very late that night and I wasn't able to eat anything they had in the office, so that was the first time this month that I felt that true feeling of hunger with no way to quench it. We then went to the food store and I got myself a loaf of bread, apples, eggs and avocados to make myself meals the rest of the weekend.

On Monday morning when it came time for me to fly home, I ended up in a kind of tough situation. Monday early morning was great--Kelly and I got up early and had a good coffee talk before we had to leave for the airport--but when I got there, I got in line to get a multi grain bagel and apple to eat for my long day of travel and found out that they stopped serving breakfast a few minutes earlier and all they had was their amaaaazing delicious po-boys. So I just had to skip eating for now.

When I got on my flight, I was starting to get that grumble in my stomach and I got so sad when I realized I wouldn't be eating until dinner time when I got back to Centreville. As much as I feared it, I just sincerely acknowledged that feeling of being hungry and told myself to forget it.

When I got to my spot at 19F, I was greeted by a very nice woman who let me into the window seat. She had gone to New Orleans that weekend to run the Marathon that we had all been hearing about. After some quick chit chat, I learned that she moved to DC 8 years ago, she hoped that her boss would let her take the rest of the afternoon off due to the wintery weather and she had gotten breakfast to go from the po-boy place I had originally tried for in the airport. I told her that I had tried to get breakfast there too(!) but I had just missed it. I put my headphones on, looked out the window, smelled her delicious creole egg sandwich and listened to my "Texas" playlist.

About 20 minutes later, I felt the woman tap me on the shoulder. I turn to look and she was holding an apple. I took off my headphones and she said she wanted me to have it since I wasn't able to get breakfast on my way in. I was so touched by her kindness and couldn't help but feel this feeling of faith and truth---that this woman offered the one thing I was able to have in a moment that I literally had nothing else.

It was the most amazing little surprise that my little Seven heart could have ever asked for.



This week, I'm dedicating a Ryan Bingham tune. His music makes me happy and his eyes make me melt.


No comments:

Post a Comment